A CONFUSED sheep which saw its reflection in a shiny car door attacked the vehicle causing £1,000 worth of damage.
Insurance company Churchill, which paid the 58-year-old driver from Leeds compensation, cited it as one of its more bizarre claims in a review of its 2003 business published yesterday.
Churchill customers Kenneth and Hilary Davies, both 65, of Merthyr Tydfil, filed a claim after their 2003 Christmas turned into a disaster.
Mr Davies, a former sales manager with a food manufacturers, slipped on the stairs of the couple's home at Pant on Christmas morning.
Mrs Davies said, "I spent last Christmas in Prince Charles Hospital and instead of turkey had a tin of tomato soup for my dinner."
Mr Davies suffered a badly broken arm.
The pair were visited on the day by their daughter Helen, a receptionist, and sports manager Steve.
Mrs Davies said, "We were not able to claim for a ruined Christmas but we were able to claim for the double glazed window my husband's arm went through."
After a delicate pinning operation Mr Davies recovered though he is still having the arm looked at periodically by doctors.
The Davieses also had to cancel a cruise in the Caribbean they had planned for last January.
Their insurance company compensated them after hearing about Mr Davies's accident.
Instead they went on a trip to the Mediterranean last summer and are planning to visit the Caribbean in a year's time.
Robert Proctor, 71, a former gas welder of Canton, Cardiff and his wife Irene, 64, had to cancel an expensive trip to Australia after Mrs Proctor suddenly experienced inflammation of the heart.
The couple, who successfully claimed for compensation, are now planning to go to Perth, Australia next month to visit Mrs Proctor's two sons who both live there.
A spokeswoman for Churchill said, "People have all sorts of illnesses and get into all sorts of scrapes... it's what we are there for."
Animals and children were responsible for some of the stranger claims received by the company.
An owner from Lincolnshire claimed on his pet insurance, after his dog swallowed a conker, for the £200 costs of the operation to remove it.
Children were blamed for all sorts of disasters from knocked over computers to spilled pots of paint.
Cats were the worst offenders for getting tangled up in laptop leads while boys playing cricket were responsible for many broken windows.
In North Wales, a Churchill customer successfully claimed for a ruined computer after his house was struck by lightning. A spokesman for the company said, "We were told there was a lot of lightning in North Wales last year."