Heart attack victim set fire to shed
AN ELDERLY man died of a heart attack in his beloved garden shed before falling on a gas heater and starting a fire which consumed the building.
Newport Coroner’s court heard how 77-year-old Frederick Brown, of St Gwladys Avenue, Bargoed would often spend most of his day in the shed at the bottom of his garden.
At 10.30am on December 9, 2007 Mr Brown’s grandson, who was visiting his grandparents, was on his way to give his granddad his morning paper when he noticed flames coming from inside the shed.
He raced back into the house to alert his grandmother and ring the emergency services.
Mrs Brown found herself unable to deal with the fire which was escalating and could see her husband’s body in the shed.
Deputy Coroner Wendy James explained how Mr Brown, a retired carpenter, was already dead when the fire started.
She said: “Mr Brown had been suffering from ill health for some time caused by severe narrowing of the arteries.
“He suffered a heart attack which led to him collapsing onto the gas heater which then led to the fire which started accidentally.”
A verdict of death by natural causes was recorded.